Insurance can be a tricky business. However, we think it’s important to help you understand your rights when it comes to coverage for your roof replacement.
We often receive questions about whether or not roof replacement is covered by insurance, and how homeowners can start the process. Here’s what you need to know about insurance coverage and your roof.
When Your Roof is Covered
First off, it’s important to keep in mind that every insurance company is different. Make sure you understand the terms of your coverage, and know what you’re entitled to in the event that you need a roof replacement.
With that in mind, most homeowners’ insurance policies include coverage for a similar range of circumstances. Your insurance most likely covers “acts of nature” or sudden accidental events. These typically include damage due to weather—wind, hail, ice, fallen trees—but not damage due to natural wear and tear or neglect.
How to Start the Process
If your roof has been damaged by a storm, it’s up to you to contact your insurance company and get the ball rolling. Whether your roof has been severely compromised or merely has a few missing shingles, you deserve to be compensated under the terms of your contract with the insurance company. Of course, it helps to have a dedicated contractor on your side too. Here’s how the process usually works:
- Call your roofer and have your roof professionally inspected to assess the damage and determine if roof replacement is necessary.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- An insurance adjuster will also assess the damage and work with the roofing contractor throughout the inspection process.
- Once your insurance claim is approved, work can begin. Your roofer will work with you to select your preferred styles, colors, etc.
- Work will be completed and you can enjoy your new roof!
Learn More About Roof Replacement
When you work with AIC Roofing & Construction, insurance isn’t your only line of defense against future roof replacement. We also offer some of the best warranties in the business, including 10-year workmanship warranties on every roof replacement we do. Contact us today to learn more about roof replacement. Our team has been proudly serving all our friends and neighbors in Central Kentucky since 2003.