Re-siding your home involves a lot of details and can disrupt your daily routine. When you’re preparing for the project, it’s natural to wonder how long it will take to reside your home. Like any home improvement project, the timeline of your siding installation will depend on the unique attributes of your home. Understanding the steps taken to install new siding while working with a professional contractor will help you have realistic expectations and ensure a smooth experience.
How Long Does it Take to Reside a Home?
Every project is unique, but on average, siding replacement takes approximately 4-7 days. This will depend on the:
- Overall square footage
- Number of stories
- The grading around the home
- Landscaping features adjacent to the home
No matter how well prepared you and your contractor are, delays may occur due to unforeseeable problems. Some unexpected siding installation obstacles include rot, water damage, asbestos, bad weather, and sheathing repair. If your new siding also needs to be painted, add a 2-3 extra days to the project timeline.
What Steps Are Taken to Install New Siding?
The timeframe of siding replacement includes removing the existing siding, wall preparation, sheathing replacement, installation of the new siding, and any final modifications like trim work and painting.
- The first step in a siding replacement project involves the removal of the old siding. Depending on the weather and the size of the crew, they may remove all of the siding or tear off one side of the house at a time.
- The stability and appearance of your siding greatly depend on the conditions of the walls beneath it. While your contractor will thoroughly inspect your siding during the initial consultation, it can be difficult to identify hidden damage before the existing siding is removed.
- Next comes replacing the sheathing. Also known as house wrap or weather-resistant barrier (WRB), sheathing is a protective layer of material; it also provides additional insulation.
- Next, the crew will begin to install your new siding.
- The last step involves cleaning and inspecting the job site. Any remaining debris is cleared out.
At this point, you can use your hose to remove dust and grit from your new siding.
Hiring a Professional vs. Doing it DIY
Siding might seem like a simple installation project, especially with the amount of DIY instructional materials you can find online. However, siding replacement can be complicated if you don’t have the proper training and experience. Not convinced yet? Here are three reasons why siding replacement should be left to professionals.
1. Technical Aspects
The technical aspects of siding replacement can quickly go south for non-professionals. These tasks take precise care:
- working around corners
- soffits and fascia
- trimmed openings (like doors and windows)
- attaching the sheathing and frieze board
- cutting the siding planks to fit
You also need to know how to identify and repair areas damaged by water, vermin, or mold.
If problems arise due to technical errors, you’ll spend more money to correct the problem. You also risk voiding the manufacturer’s warranty.
When you hire a contractor to re-side your home, you get workmanship warranties which cover workmanship-related issues. Both you and your home will benefit from professional siding replacement.
2. Siding Requires Special Tools
Your ladder, level, utility knife, and hammer will come in handy. But siding also requires some specialty tools like:
- tin snips
- nail hole slot punch
- snap-lock punch
- unlocking tool
Going the DIY route will mean you have to buy these tools and store them after one use. When you hire a professional, you eliminate the hassle and expense of purchasing such tools.
3. Convenience and Efficiency
If you need just one reason to hire a professional, it’s because you won’t have to do any cutting, leveling, and heavy lifting. A home improvement company will send a team of workers to re-side your home. You may be lucky enough to find a friend willing to help you with the entire project, so it can take you weeks or months to re-side your home, even with consistently nice weather.
Home remodeling professionals do this all the time. You can expect your project to be completed over days instead of weeks or months. Don’t expose your home to the elements or say goodbye to your weekends for the next month.
Talk to the Professionals
For superior siding replacement service in Central Kentucky, turn to AIC Roofing & Construction. Our award-winning team has the expertise and knowledge you need to protect your home from the elements and improve its curb appeal with stunning home siding. We always strive to be transparent so you know what to expect for your re-siding timeline. Contact us today and let us help you choose the right siding solution for your home.